Friday, May 21, 2010

Epitome of Singles Ward

I am currently attending the Singles Ward in my stake. I must admit, I was quite skeptical of attending at first, what with all the stereotypes that come along with Singles Wards. Not that my ward doesn't fit those stereotypes--no, no. We most definitely fit them. But I have been in this ward for a little over a year now and I have come to love it!

First of all, I couldn't ask for a better bishopric! These guys are awesome! I think a huge reason many people actually stay in the ward is because of the bishopric. They are the nicest, friendliest, greatest men I've met. They know just how to work with delinquent single adults like us. Their testimonies show through their actions, and you can feel of their love for the people in the ward, as well as for their Savior. It's obvious that they love what they do. 

Another reason I have come to love this ward more and more is because of the many opportunities I have had. I've been blessed to work in callings with fantastic people, and have learned so much from them and through my service. Not all callings have been my favorite--some I've enjoyed much more than others. But that doesn't mean I didn't learn a ton from them. Currently I am serving in two callings. I am the first counselor in the Relief Society Presidency. When I was called in I thought, "Seriously? Me? I am 19 years old." But as I have forgotten myself and come to love the sisters that I serve, I have been so humbled. As I pray to have understanding and to feel of the Savior's love for the sisters, my heart is open and I feel that I can love them in a way I never knew. Not to mention that Presidency meetings are always a hoot! The other calling I am serving in is the Activities Committee. That's no small calling--but boy do we have fun! I probably stress enough for everyone on the committee, but it always feels good when a Munch and Mingle or other ward activity is a big hit. I'm one who loves to make things happen, but I don't care to really be in the limelight. I just love seeing people have fun and everything look fabulous!

Reason number 3 for loving my ward is definitely the people. There are so many fun people that I have been so lucky to get to know. Many I've known since high school, but there are tons that I have just met from the ward too. Of course we have our share of "different" people, but that makes me love them even more! Heck--I'm the most "different" one out there! And proud I am. But there are so many awesome people, and I love it! 

Here's the only problem with my ward: No one dates! Hello people! We don't have to be eternal companions, but come on! Take a girl on a date once in a while. I think people are too worried about dating someone in the ward because that means there is the potential awkwardness when it doesn't work out. Oh come off it people! You might pass up some fun times if you don't ask on dates. Secretly we love the ward, but can't wait to be un-single so we can graduate from the singles ward.......You know it's true.

You know when people ask you, "So are you dating anyone?" and we all reply with something like, "No, I'm just flying solo right now", or "Nah, just dating around". We make it sound like we're actually happy to be single. Lovin' the freedom. Ok, who is ever happy being single?! We all want someone to love--it's natural! When we're asked that we are reminded that "Oh, no one wants to date me--and you know what? I am SO happy about that". 

But after all, I do have to give a shout-out to the Grandview 22nd Ward!  World's best Singles Ward. 

Signing off, 
Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.