Wednesday, June 9, 2010

As if they were my own...

During the Spring and Summer terms, since I am not taking any classes, I like to park in the Heritage parking lot which is much closer to work. When walking through the parking lot I pass by a cute little river. That river is always occupied with ducks. Lots of ducks. About the second week of Spring I saw the storybook mother duck and her ducklings waddling together in a straight line. Now, I'm not such an animal lover, but this, this was a precious sight. The ducklings were tiny. There were six of them, and they were so obedient and followed their mother anywhere she went. For the next few weeks I watched those babies. I looked forward to seeing them when I went to work each day. I feel a smile spread across my face every time I see them.

My baby ducklings are not babies anymore. They're getting so big, I can't even believe it. It's like one day they were babies, and the next day they were--teenagers! They're getting big and starting to not obey their mother as much anymore. They don't really care to stay in their single file line, nor follow her when she starts to leave. What rebellious little punks. 

Because I have watched them grow, I feel like a proud mother who is ready to send her babies off to college. I keep waiting for the day when I walk passed and they're all gone, and I am not looking forward to it. I know this experience is nothing like the experience of being a parent, but somehow it's made me so excited to start a family of my own. To have my little babies with me all the time, to nurture them and to love them. Then, when I have taught them all that I know, to send them on their way. 

It's these experiences that I love. 

Bye, bye my baby ducklings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.