Tuesday, June 22, 2010

It's Hard Being Normal

Right now I'm reading a great book. It's called Daniel Isn't Talking by Marti Leimbach. This book is about a young family who is devastated to learn that their son is autistic. The fear, the pain, the trials all seem to tear this little family apart.

After being told by countless doctors that her son would never be normal and could not be helped, Daniel's mother decided to take things into her own hands. She would work with Daniel every day to help him learn and develop. Through her patience and determination, Daniel became more and more like what the world would call "normal".

As I think about how difficult it would be to have a child with a disability, I am amazed at this woman's strength. Although this is only a story, it has been inspiring.

Another thought that I have had while reading this book is how "normal" is all relative. What is "normal" really? Who decides what is normal and what is abnormal? Everyone is different, and everyone is valuable. It doesn't matter what disabilities we have, because we all have them. What a boring place this world would be if we were all the same. How lucky we are to have different strengths and weaknesses than those around us. We are able to work together to lift one another up. We all need each other, and none should be left behind. 

Even being considered "normal" is hard. There are certain expectations to live up to, certain do's and don'ts. But what really matters is that I am me. We should not try to fit the "normal" mold, or be someone who we are not. Being who we really are is what is important. 

I love the people that I love not because they are normal, but because they are them. And more often than not--they are weirder than heck! And that's what makes me love them the most. My "different" family, and "different" friends, are the best "different" I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.